"Shane S. Rhyne" wrote:

> On a personal note, I don't hold to the theory that is sometimes advanced
> here that artists are "forced" to bend to the will of producers against any
> artists' better judgment. I don't know jack about how to record an album,
> but I've always operated under the assumption that it's a collaborative
> process and that just maybe in the case of experienced artists, the artist
> has a bit of an upper hand in influencing the production of the album.

depends on who holds the power, what type of person the artist is, how
desperate they are to hang onto the deal, etc. However, my experience
with artists is that for the most part they don't get to any degree of
achievement by being milktoasts and are fairly hard to push around, if
not impossible. some artists just don't care about the process and just
want to come in, sing to the track, and leave. Some get into every
minute decision in the studio until they have to be hog-tied and
removed, screaming "take that note out!" as they are carried out the
door. I have had many like this, my sweet mate included, and the problem
with the picky types is they are almost invariably correct. Everybody
made fun of Lucinda for re-cutting her record umpteen times, right?

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records