>Hendrix spawned far too many wanking guitar solos to be allowed to
>remain. Yes, the man could play the guitar but most of his imitators which
>are legion, can not. The Beach Boys define crappy, and I mean crappy pop
>music. Bland, soulless bullshit. Why every rock critic seems to adore Pet
>Sounds is beyond me. I read often that it is a groundbreaking, ahead of its
>time album. For a real groundbreaking record, released in the same year,
try
>Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart.

>Nicholas

As far as Jimi's followers are concerned, I will say this. The reason many
Hendrix-indebted guitar players seem to go off into the farthest reaches of
wankdom may be because they don't have the subtle artistic touches that
could yield beauties like "Castles Made of Sand," "Bold As Love," and "(Have
You Ever Been) to Electric Ladyland?" And to have a world without "Machine
Gun" or "I Don't Live Today" would make me cranky and a kicker of elves. And
that just ain't right. Besides, it's not like Jimi single-handedly
introduced the wanking guitar solo into the lexicon. Under this rule,
everyone from Duane Allman to Bob Mould to Doug Martsch to Jay Farrar would
have to be dumped. That can't be good for anyone.

And while you seem to be hedging on your opinion of the Beach Boys, let me
just say that whatever you think about Pet Sounds will not change the fact
that Trout Mask Replica came out in 1969. And that's just all there is to it
(PS--'66). Personally, if I had to take one album from '66, though, I'd be
predictable and take Revolver. Maybe that's just me.

Lance . . .