Someone (sorry, missed the initial message) wrote:

> Why do people love for country or alt.country bands or so-called
> alt.country bands to do covers of godawful cheesy rock songs?

And Jeff Weiss responded:

> Secret confirmation that those godawful songs we all loved as kids
> aren't as godawful as many of us publicly claim.

What he said. Some of those songs are quite well written. A couple of my bands have done a country-ish version of the Cars "My Best Friend's Girlfriend." Goofy lyrics ("you gotcher nuclear boot, and your drip-dry glove") aside, it's a well-written song. Another fave to do in spare folk style is Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun." The Ass Ponys used to do a spare, drop-dead-serious version of "You Shook Me All Night Long." And so on.

They're just damned fun to play.

If Jake London is out here still, he should forward his very fine essay on covers to the list.

Hi everyone. Did I miss anything good?

Smooches,
Dave

***