On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Jamie Swedberg wrote:

> Yeah, I'll testify. Here's my deal, Dina--usually I don't like it much when
> a band covers a cheesy song. I'm thinking of that awful disco thing that
> Cake covered a couple years back, for instance..."I Will Survive", was it?

I could care less about Cake, but Gloria Gaynor's original version is just
swell.  Great song delivering a dead-serious message that no doubt
resonated with lotsa folks inside and outside of her intended audience.
"Jet" ain't too bad either.  And speaking of the power of pop music, y'all
oughta read David's excellent lead record review of Wilco and Joe Henry in
the latest No Depression.--don