Unfortunately, Jon, from the perspective of just about anybody'd who care,
you're absolutely right....There's much good music and a lot of interets in
getting to hear how that sound was arrived at--and some of the alternate
versions hold their own anyway, some of which are the ones they keep on
Sunrise, apparently--but you lose the process, which is worth preserving.

 I  just don't GET what they're doing with the Sun sessions any more.,  The
most complete version yet released was still that double vuinyl LP from the
80s--reduced to the first Sun sessions CD.  Then they let go of those "I
recorded these for my mama Gladys" cuts in pieces==and I think a lot of
Elvis fans will know that the live cuts they've added here are from the
much-released already Louisiana Hayride performances--which are sometimes
joined by the "return to Memphis from RCA" version of Hound Dog. (Not on
this disc though, I believe.)

If you're gonna pull the Sun Sessions together--from from a rock and roll
and rockabilly perspective, and arguably, country too,  you need to--why
not just do it.  Personally, I have the basic takes and outtakes already on
that very necessary 50s Elvis box, the first box--so the justification for
this would be to give it the full treatment.

But I suppose they'll do that in another three years and try to sell me
this stuff for, if I can keep count, the seventh time!

Barry