In a message dated 1/18/99 12:11:01 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 My father was touring in Europe and Britain around the same time the Beatles
 were blazing their trail (60-63) and he says that Lennon was playing the
 harmonica long before McClinton supposedly taught him. Whether or not
 McClinton is being totally truthful about the situation or if the story has
 just taken on some extrapolated details is up in the air. It sounds like an
 urban legend to me.

 Slim

Yeah, if the story is that McClinton taught Lennon *how* to play harmonica,
then it's not true.
Delbert says in several interviews I've read that he taught Lennon how *he*
played the harmonica, which makes more sense.
I'm guessing JL had been honking around on the harp for a while before they
met.
Who knows / cares, right? It's a great story either way. Kinda gives us the
right to say those limey bastards wouldn't have set the bar so high for Garth
if it hadn't been for the American R&Rers who showed 'em how to do it.<g>

Joe X.
TCMN

np: The Stillmen - Go!X3