Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:01:40 -0500
   From: "Jon Weisberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   > - Who decides who becomes a member of the Opry and who doesn't?

   "Opry
   management" decides who becomes a member; if you manage to pierce that veil,
   let us know.

Ahha!  So that's why they can snub Jimmy Martin and no one person gets
held accountable.  Even more interesting considering that the
hierarchy of members and guests is mentioned so frequently during the
show, or at least on this one.

   > Not intending to stir up a
   > hornet's nest, but how do I resolve these performers'
   > much-less-than-perfect vocal skills (admitted degraded skills) with
   > the argument that country is medium/genre in which performance skills
   > are central?

   Well, there's a two-part answer to that, the first part of which is that
   there are a lot of people in and around country music who complain regularly
   about the degraded skills of some performers; see, for instance, periodic
   discussion on bgrass-l (let me observe, too, that a number of the
   performers - John Conlee being a good example - have their good days and
   their bad; I have heard him absolutely kill some stuff in the last year or
   two, and heard some pretty bad performances as well).  The second part is
   that there are some outstanding musicians in the bands, including the house
   band.  Overall, though, I'd say that going to the Opry, or going to see some
   of these stars, has a lot to do with - well, I'm in a rush, so this bad
   phrase will have to do - nostalgia, not with the musical quality of all the
   acts.

Hmmm.  Can we talk about this one a bit more?  (maybe I am entering into more
of an discussion than I wanted to?)

If I make an admittedly over-simplified summary of some of the debates
we've had here in the past, one of arguments has seemed to be: musical
proficiency is central to country, especially to a *country* audience
(as opposed to say a punk audience).  However, here are some folks,
enjoying country music -- I don't think anyone would want to argue
that the Opry isn't country and the audience a country audience ? --
but that music isn't performed (or at least sung -- I'd agree 100% that
the anonymous musicians on stage were crackerkjack) with anything
close to perfection.

I would readily agree that there might be two country audiences -- an
*old* country audience and a *new* country audience, with different
expectations from a performance.  Or maybe just an Opry country
audience?  But these differentitions seem to create more problems than
they solve?  Especially since those audience expectations have
evidently evolved over time?

I agree with the notion that a large segment of the audience and ther
performers are all participating in a form of nostalgia -- that's what
makes seeing old men like Porter Wagoner and Bill Anderson so painful
as they try to project a long-gone sexual aura (IMHO) -- but it does
cut at the heart of the argument that one of the essential
expectations of a country audience is near-perfect musicianship.  Or
am I missing the boat here? -- maybe there are many more people
complaining about the performers than were evident after the show
Friday?

   > - Do the regular performers keep repeating the same songs and same
   > jokes?

   Some do, some don't.  Watch or listen a few times and you'll figure out
   which; when you can identify the subject of the "Willie Nelson after taxes"
   line, you'll be there <g>.

Little Jimmy Dickens.  That's one of the lines my neighbor blurted out
while Little Jimmy was pausing for comedic effect :)

Bob