Howdy,

Always late....

Bob Wray was talking a few days ago about his visit to the Ryman and
mentioned Jim Ed Brown.

Specifically, he said: <<Can someone tell me something about the Jim Ed
Brown?  Of all the old timers last night, he seemed to me the one who had
weathered the best.  His voice was good, smooth, and he carried himself with
an undeniable dignity (unlike Bill Anderson and Porter, who seemed to me
caricatures of themselves).  I vaguely remember Brown on country radio when
I was child but nothing concrete immediately comes to mind.  Is he someone
who's career is worth reviewing?>>

Jim Ed has indeed weathered better than some of the other Opry regulars. I
don't know how much having a regular performance schedule helps out in that
cause, but Brown does have a Branson-type theater show over here in the
Smokies. (Of course, there are also artists out there who perform just as
regularly as Brown, but don't seem to be weathering well at all, so that's
likely not the key ingredient...)

For what it's worth, I mentioned in a post a month or so ago that Brown and
partner Helen Cornelius were buying Dolly's music theater up in Pigeon Forge
and would be starting a new show in the larger theater this spring. Rumor at
this point says the deal has fallen through, so I don't know what the future
holds for Jim Ed at this time.

When I find out more, I'll happily invite Bob (and anyone else) to join me
for a fun-filled day at Dollywood and a trip to the Jim Ed Brown show.

Again, for what it's worth, RCA has a Jim Ed Brown disc in their "Essential"
series. Curiously, for a collection of "essential" Jim Ed Brown songs, none
of his duets with Helen Cornelius is included. Was a second disc released
focusing purely on that subject?

The aforementioned disc includes duets with his sister, a Louvin tune "I
Take the Chance," "Pop-A-Top," "Send Me the Pillow That You Dream On," and
others.

Although lacking in Helen Cornelius duet material it's still a good disc to
start with. I don't think he's released a new disc of material since maybe
the Carter Administration. You may be able to find a greatest hit album of
his duets.

I don't know if any of that has been helpful at all.

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]