I had a chance to go see The Friday Night Opry last night, which was
broadcast live from the Ryman, the first time since 1974 that the Opry
had been broadcast from the 'Mother Church of Country Music' as Ralph
Emery and a host of other Goo-Goo-Cluster peddling WSM DJs reminded us
through the night.  I don't much about the Opry.  When a friend told
me she had a ticket for this show, I agreed to go, without knowing
anything about the significance of the event.  I mean, I knew the Opry
had moved out to Opryland but I thought the trips to the Ryman might
be an annual event or something.  I had no clue that this was the
first live broadcast since the Opry had abandoned downtown.

I'll briefly recount the show, then I have some questions at the end that
I hope y'all will be able to help me with.

The show began with Porter Wagoner in a lavender, rinestoned knit
leisure suit, bright fuchsia shirt and a short wide tie.  I felt myself
sink a little lower in the chair -- a pew -- but Porter hammed it up
with crowd, posing for pictures, calling for clapping at the first
line of each old star's song, shaking hands and generally keeping all
the ladies around where I was sitting giggling for a full 30 minutes.

The bluegrassers were the best part of the show to me.  Del McCoury
Band, Ricky Skaggs, Jim & Jesse.  Being mostly ignorant of the Opry,
and knowing that little bluegrass gets played on commercial country,
I was happily surprised to hear bluegrass, cajun, Texas Swing (Charlie
Walker) all on the stage with some names from the country past.  Del
McCoury band was great fun, watching all the members of the band move
around the microphone is perfect synchronization.

John Berry was announced as a surprise guest and he came out and
nailed an accapella rendition of the hymn "Blessed Assurance."  The
crowd grew hushed, I was sitting in a pew, and it did feel very much
like church.  I had never heard Berry before but he evidenced a lot
of charisma in his short visit.

Del Reeves sang a song that reminded me alot of 'Looking at the World
through a Windshield' the only song I know of his (thanks to Son
Volt).  It was something about a Southern Belle (a pun on Southern
Bell, the previous name of the phone company here?)  Anyway, he did a
dialog in the middle of the song and a pretty impressive imitation of
Johnny Cash: mannerisms, speaking voice, and singing voice.  The crowd
ate it up.  I see a Del Reeves disk in my future.  Recommendation?

Vince Gill was the biggest current star on the bill last night.  He
sang two songs, "Don't Come Cryin' to Me" and a song he introduced as
an old song that the crowd went even crazier about.  It began with a
line about slipping a ring on/off someone's finger.  I admit to being
pretty ignorant of Gill.  I did get "The "Key" back when a few people
were raving about it here, but then wondered what all the fuss was
about, although I was too chicken to complain.  But Gill was spunky,
witty and reverent to the traditions of the Opry.  He repeatedly
mentioned the importance of "real country music."  The crowd's biggest
response was to a comment he made after saying that he made it a
priority to perform at the Opry because it *was* country music.  "I
performed here 40 times last year, which is more than most of my
contemporaries combined."  The crowd went ballistic.  Anyway, I was
impressed enough that I think I'll give "The Key" another chance.

All-in-all, it was a fun show, and the kind of once-in-a-lifetime
music happening that I was hoping to stumble into when I moved to
Nashville.  I think I'll consider listening to Opry now on Friday and
Saturday nights and see if I remain entertained.

Now, a few questions for the listening audience:

- Who decides who becomes a member of the Opry and who doesn't?  For
instance, there was a big deal made of the guests (Daryl Singletary,
John Berry, Sherrie somebody from Australia) as opposed to the
members.

- Can someone tell me something about the Jim Ed Brown?  Of all the
old timers last night, he seemed to me the one who had weathered the
best.  His voice was good, smooth, and he carried himself with an
undeniable dignity (unlike Bill Anderson and Porter, who seemed to me
caricatures of themselves).  I vaguely remember Brown on country radio
when I was child but nothing concrete immediately comes to mind.  Is
he someone who's career is worth reviewing?

- Although Porter's showmanship was unquestionable, his (and many of
the older stars, Jeanne Pruett, Skeeter somebody, John Connally) voice
were pretty poor (I certainly heard as many bad notes last night as I
have heard at a Freakwater show :).  Not intending to stir up a
hornet's nest, but how do I resolve these performers'
much-less-than-perfect vocal skills (admitted degraded skills) with
the argument that country is medium/genre in which performance skills
are central?

- Do the regular performers keep repeating the same songs and same
jokes?  I had fun, but I don't think I'd have fun if the show was
mostly the same every week except for the big name guests that show up
and sing two songs. There was a lady sitting a couple rows behind me
that loudly whispered just about every punchline of the oldtimers'
jokes.  That would grow stale quickly.

- I admit I left the show with much more respect for those old stars
than I had at the beginning, but I still have to ask: what's with the
hair?  The guys still with their real hair have those almost pompadour
'dos and the guys without hair look pretty silly in those obvious
hairpieces, obvious even from 30 rows back.

Bob