Tara, to clarify, it seems to me you're shouldering that "boomer"
     mantle/stigma in vain, if I'm reading you right. Amerians born after
     1960 are not really baby-boom material, for myriad reasons
     social-and-economic chronology. For instance, if Watergate is one of
     the first news events you were able to follow (or even remember), that
     distinguishes you fairly obviously in cultural experience from anyone
     old enough to have had class interrupted by the announcement of
     Kennedy's assassination - we Watergate-era children never had quite
     the same cultural innocence to lose.

     Which has a lot to do, I'd reckon, with the eventual coming of punk,
     as well as with the interest in country as some sort of purer heritage
     from the antediluvian age - I don't think it's just coincidence that
     alt-country adores pre-seventies country (Hank, Buck, Cash, Jones,
     etc.) and is squeamish about almost everything thereafter. There's a
     generational sense that any mainstream culture made in our lifetimes
     must be by nature corrupt, stained by original sin. That a band as big
     as the Beatles could be seen as great artists and countercultural
     heroes by broad consensus is a basically alien concept to everyone too
     young to have participated, methinks. [With the possible
     counter-example of Star Wars, but that's total escapism. Nobody claims
     Star Wars galvanized the youth of America, tho in fact it did cause a
     huge shake-up in HOllywood and thus in the culture at large.]

     I'll shut up now ... carl w.