>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
><< The older folks, the ones with jobs and largely without .EDU at the end
>of the e-mail
> account, are more into the music.  >>
>
>and less into the bands?  wait. . .I'm confused.  This often happens at the
>brink of a cosmic insight.  Please keep going with this train of thought until
>I can catch up.  Seriously.
>Linda

Jeff's on a roll today, Linda  (on the fluff list too)..and I think he IS
getting at something true here too..as only somebody able to track actual
record buyers responses would be! ....To those who for the latest thing is
the First Fire, there is that throwing themselves into the thing they've
heard, and they want to just breath in every ounce of it..(this  accidental
metaphor has got to go!)..But as wee get to having been around a little,
and been through, uh, repeated incidents, the ol perspective starts to kick
in, inevitably...and you get careful in a way that would only seem "tired"
to the spanking new...careful to look for what's live and lasting in that
music, wherever and from whenever you find it.   For most listeners, life,
omey and this tendency is going to rule out the full musical "perv" on
anybody brand new in particular.

  I think that;s what Jeff's talking about--but I'd just add  one special
case asterisk here:
for anybody crazed enoigh to be on P2 for long, these rules don't
apply--.exactly.  See, as WE get older, we do look around more broadly--but
then termite right in obsessively on whoever turns out to grab us anyway.
Lotsa times.  Good for discussions--and good for record company and mail
order sales, if w pay cash and  don't still happen to be well-known working
reviewer weasel types.
Barry M.