-----Original Message-----
From: Bluegrass music discussion. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Mary Yeomans
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 5:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: It's Official -- George Jones Off Respirator!!

     [I've been employed here at Vanderbilt University Medical Center for
     about 12 years now, and have worked in the Office of the Vice
     Chancellor for Health Affairs, which oversees the entire medical
     center, including the Office of News and Public Affairs, which is
     responsible for dispensing information to the media and responding to
     any questions about the condition of patients.  I've just visited my
     friend, Director Bill Hance, and here's the official update on George
     Jones current condition (as of about 3:00 p.m. today)]:

     "About half an hour ago, George Jones was taken off the ventilator.
     He remains in critical condition; his injuries are very serious and
     life threatening, but his physician, Dr. Virginia Eddy, is encouraged
     about how well he has done thus far.  Jones remains heavily sedated as
     part of his treatment, but has been able to squeeze his wife Nancy's
     hand and appears to realize that loved ones are around him.  He has
     had many visitors and Nancy tells him daily of all the cards, letters
     and calls he's received. (In fact, Vanderbilt has been covered up with
     mail for Jones).

     Dr. Eddy said, "He is made of some pretty tough stuff," and feels that
     he is doing as well as can be expected, given his age and the nature
     of his injuries, though he is still not out of the woods.  Jones has a
     number of serious injuries, including bruising of the liver, a bruised
     lung, a punctured lung (which has sealed itself), and internal
     bleeding.  Jones remains in intensive care in the Trauma Unit, where
     he's been since his arrival by LifeFlight on Saturday afternoon."

     For those wishing to send cards and get well messages, here's the
     address:

        George Jones
        118  16th Avenue South, Suite 201
        Nashville, TN  37203  U.S.A.

     In lieu of flowers, the Jones family has requested that donations be
     made in the name of George Jones to the Vanderbilt Children's
     Hospital:
        Vanderbilt Children's Hospital
        2424 Garland Avenue
        Nashville, TN  37212  U.S.A.

     Hope this information will offer you some encouragement; people here
     are guardedly optimistic, and there are many, many prayers being
     offered up on behalf of one of the greatest singers of our time!

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]