Blockbuster isn't a monopoly but they have a large share of the video
market.  Other chains such as West Coast and Tower seem to be viable,
and there are plenty of independent video stores in business, knock
wood.  When Wayne Huizenga (also the man who gutted the Florida Marlins
and fired Don Shula) ran Blockbuster, they did edit videos, and if I
remember correctly, they didn't distributed Last Temptation of Christ at
all.  Since he sold to Paramount/Viacom, I don't know if that still
happens; I haven't been inside a Blockbuster for years.

Carl Z.

Excerpts from internet.listserv.postcard2: 10-Mar-99 Re: RIP Stanley
Kubrick by Stevie Simkin@interalpha