Ian Durkacz wrote:

> > I'm thinking of "Paths Of Glory" with Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker and
> > the wonderful Adolphe Menjou.
>
> That is a fabulous and powerful film.
>
> As a related note, the obituary for Kubrick published here in
> yesterday's 'Guardian' newspaper here (see
> http://www.filmunlimited.co.uk/news/0308/kubrick1.html, and further
> links) mentions that that film "was banned in France until relatively
> recently because of its unflattering depiction of the French army".
> Amazing.

Well, maybe, maybe not. The French Army did experience a pretty general
mutiny in 1917, which the movie represents in miniature, and hundreds were
executed, either like those guys in "Paths Of Glory" or by the simpler
expedient of having them shelled much as the general attempts to do in the
film. It's understandable to me that this wasn't considered desirable
entertainment by the French censors.  Indeed, until the Vietnam War, I
wonder how many similar depictions of cowardice, treachery, and
malfeasance by commanders would have been seen by the US moviegoing
public?And Ian, BTW, was "A Clockwork Orange" in fact banned in the UK as
was reported here? "A Clockwork Orange" was my favorite movie for years,
and while I can understand why others have quite the opposite reaction, I
wondered why it was banned.

b.s.
n.p. Strawbs HALCYON DAYS