Carl says:

> "By the hand of the father" is, if I recall rightly
> a song cycle-cum-theatre-piece based on the history of his family,  which he said
> he'd received an NEA grant to develop.

This is interesting and certainly makes me raise an eyebrow, as it
tends to confirm many of my pre-existing suspicions about
Alejandro (I'm not a big fan...).  And to learn that he's applying
for NEA grants on this thing strikes me as more than a little
symptomatic.

On first hearing about it, it sounds kind of like an Alejandro
version of that Jo Carol Pierce twang opera about growing up in
Lubbock (or wherever it was).  Her song cycle  was kind of charming
in its whimsical humor, at least.....  Maybe if tutelary spirits
appear in Alejandro's, he could at least get Sheila E to play the
part of Frida Kahlo.

Lordy lordy,
--junior