On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Terry A. Smith wrote:

> Yeah, I know this is songwriting analysis 101, but I just cringe to hear
> AE thrown in with the pejorative "snooze-rock guys" phrase. Or "overly
> polite and artsy."

Well, anyone who covers the Stooges probably isn't too "overly polite."<g>
I was referring more to the likes of Bruton and McMurtry.

> I picked up Terry Allen's re-released double record -- two of his
> earlier records combined as a double CD -- a couple years ago, and was
> bored to tears. The songwriting was right there, but the tunes were, um,
> damned slow. This is music we're talking about, not poetry. Not even
> beat poetry. Pick up the tempo, Terry.

Even though they contain a few good songs, those are probably two of his
weaker records.  Try Lubbock (On Everything) for prime Allen, or more
recently Human Remains and Salivation.--don (gettin' ready for another
round of on-air begging.  Ugh.)