Monday March 22 7:34 PM ET

How Garth Brooks Fared on Monday

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - How it went for Garth Brooks on Monday at spring
training for the San Diego Padres:

COUNTRY CAMPER: Brooks was hitless in two at-bats and made an error in
left field in the Padres' split-squad, 7-7 tie with the Chicago Cubs at
HoHoKam Park. He is 1-for-13 (.077) this spring.

HIGH NOTE: Brooks nearly had his second hit in two days, but Cubs
shortstop Jose Hernandez made a nice play behind the bag and threw out
Brooks.

ON THE RECORD: ``Thank God Mesa has only one ballpark,'' said Brooks, who
went to the wrong field in Tucson on Saturday for the Padres' previous
road game.

HoHoKam's version of the Bleacher Bums were all over Brooks. Some
examples: ``Are you the guy who sang `Achy Breaky Heart?'; ``Hey, it's
Brooke Shields''; ``Hey, Tony (Gwynn), is Garth going to beat you out?'';
and ``Hey Garth, I just bought you for $3 on my fantasy league team.''