At 11:53 PM -0500  on 3/24/99, Bob Burns/Big In Iowa wrote:

>Is anybody else as tired as I am of hearing about how Wilco never
>settles into one specific style?

No, and I'm still even more open to wondering why they don't do any of
them well.

>So what! If Wilco recorded a Polka
>record it would sound like Wilco playing Polka.

>From Jimmy Sturr to Brave Combo, there's tons of bands that can do it
well now; we don't need one that doesn't do anything else well doing
that badly too.

>Not many bands can do that.

Indeed. I can name one.

>What's wrong with experimenting? Didn't the Beatles do that their
>whole career?

And often succeeded, which gives them one up.

>Speaking of the Beatles, I could definitely hear the
>Lennon/McCartney influences on this record! I'll admit, this isn't your
>typical Wilco.

Is anything "typical Wilco"?

>At least it's not what I expected. But I love it! I don't
>claim to be a music critic (I just write songs) so I'm not going to
>break the album down for you piece by piece, but my god what a cool new
>fresh sounding CD from Wilco. Buy it now!!!

I swore Jeff Tweedy would never get another cent of my money. So far,
I've succeeded, no small feat in the town he lives in. (I didn't know
he was opening for Patti Smith, I swear. We only saw a song and a
half.) If his experimentation tickles you, you're ahead of the game. I
stopped playing, myself.

Bob