> But Joe, weren't you exposing your art to the public in that show that my
> hypothetical buddy recorded?  Last fall, Richard Thompson toured and
> played a number of new songs that will presumably be coming up on this
> spring's new album.  He was very much against these shows being taped,
> because he wanted the songs "to be new to everyone" when the album
> appears.  Okay, so playing those songs to maybe 10,000 people on the tour
> is somehow going to keep the music "new," but having 200 or so fanatics
> hear them via the tapes will not?  Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but if
> Thompson didn't want people to hear those songs until the album came out,
> then what was he doing playing them in public performance?
-- rest snipped

There was a similar thread last year on the Bob Mould list.  He was
playing out new songs which would them be part of his _Last Dog and Pony
Show_ release.  His reasoning against taping these shows (he has always
been pro-taping of his shows), was that with the new songs, he hadn't
even recorded them yet.  They really are part of his own intellectual
propery.  What if some local band hears a tape of an unreleased song
and then records it?  Now it is no longer his song, but this bands'
song.

I understand this line of reasoning, and agree completely with it.
But also, I try to tape a lot of shows myself for my own personal
enjoyment after the fact, and in case anything magical happens at
the show I want preserverd, like Alejandro singing "Excuse Me..."
with Whiskeytown at the Electric Lounge (RIP).  I'm sure this didn't
happen at every stop of the tour, and I felt special about hearing
it, and can hear it right now.

NP: Eliiott Smith - Liberty Lunch show 3/10/99

--
Jim Fagan    | AIX Build Architecture and Integration  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internal T/L 678-2458 | External (512) 838-2458 | Austin, Texas| fagan@austin