My younger bro writes:

>> At a time when alt.country bands increasingly lean toward tepid
>> vocals, languid playing, and gentle singer-songwriterish
>> sentiments
>
>Oh, for fuck's sake, they do not.

The reviewer's line above (though not Dave's) should probably be added to
the list of rules for rock critics writing about alt-country: discuss all
alt-country bands as though they were a) identical to one another and b)
mopey and/or wimpy. It's hard to even imagine who he's referring to here.
Certainly not *any* of the bands I saw at SXSW, some of whom were more alt
and some of whom were more country, but none of whom exhibited any remotely
languid, tepid, or even gentle tendencies. And unquestionably not any of
the other bands on the Bloodshot roster. Sheesh.

--Amy