AP NASHVILLE: Garth Brooks may be taking the year off from touring, but by
no means is he going to be sitting around doing nothing. The time off from
the road is giving him the opportunity to once again campaign for a cause
he believes in, performer's rights. "I think it's nothing less that
outright theft" says Brooks when asked about the used  cd market.
"Intellectual property is still property. If someone were to sell my Range
Rover without my permission, or without properly compensating me, it would
be the same thing. When someone buys a used Cd, they are depriving the
artist and the songwriter of payment for services rendered."

Brooks, who is one of the wealthiest performers in Country Music is
attempting to spearhead a bill through the Tennessee State House of
Representatives that would require sale of used Cd's to be treated the same
as the sale of new releases. "It ought to be the same. The sales should be
reported to Soundscan and royalties should be paid to the performers and
songwriters."

The bill, known as the aetistic compensation bill. also states that
royalties should be paid on all intellectual and artistic property, not
just Music cd's. "Hey, if you buy a used car, says Brooks, you still have
to pay taxes on it, get a title and insurance. Artistic Property should be
treated the exact same way." If the Brooks authored bill were to become
law, it would require used book stores and comic book shops to charge a
royalty fee for every used book or collectible comic book sold, including
long out of print and rare materials. The bill also charges library patrons
an 'artists compensation'  fee for every book, periodical, or sound
recording checked out. "Clubs and radio stations have to pay a fee to ASCAP
and BMI for artists compensation in order to play music over a sound
system, states Brooks. I don't see why the Libraries should get off when
the Radio Stations don't. Besides, more people listen to the radio than go
to libraries, so it's only fair."

To learn more about the bill for artistic compensation, visit the Tennessee
House of Reprensentatives website at http://www,tennhouse.gov

Jeff Wall
 http://www.twangzine.com The Webs least sucky music magazine
727 Alder Circle - Va Beach, Va - 23462 -(757) 467-3764