> "I think it's nothing less that
> outright theft" says Brooks when asked about the used  cd market.
> "Intellectual property is still property. If someone were to sell my Range
> Rover without my permission, or without properly compensating me, it would
> be the same thing.
Gee,  by this logic, it's not really YOUR Range Rover, Garth.
It still belongs to the automaker. and this:
> If the Brooks authored bill were to become
> law, it would require used book stores and comic book shops to charge a
> royalty fee for every used book or collectible comic book sold, including
> long out of print and rare materials. The bill also charges library patrons
> an 'artists compensation'  fee for every book, periodical, or sound
> recording checked out.
And if such a law ever took effect, he could kiss his career
goodbye. The public reaction would be deadly. If Garth
wants to play games with the Nashville power structure,
that's fine. If he seriously thinks he's going to change the
free library system in this country, then he really is the
contemptible horse's ass his detractors make him out to
be.
Waiting for the librarians on the list to weigh in on this one,
Tom Smith