I've tried to get people my age (35) interested in alt.country. It is
hopeless. They may listen to the radio, but they do not buy CDs; they do
not have the initiative to dig out the good new bands. They are too busy
with careers, children, TeeVee, sports, lawn care. The people I know
stopped buying music once they graduated from college. A few, like my
brothers, held on for a while. Bought the first five REM albums, but lost
interest when Alternative Rock/grunge burnt itself out (seems to have been
about the time of Kurt Cobain's death). Mention country or alt.country and
they look at me like I just fell off the turnip truck. ("You like country
music? Well you deserve to die.")
Go to a Son Volt/Wilco concert and the majority of people there are male
college students, it seems to me anyway.