At 11:21 PM -0500  on 1/21/99, Budrocket wrote:

>>> And who wants to be signed now that you can buy your own CD burner  and
>>> laser printer and print up CDs as you need them, at the rate you  need
>>> them, etc?
>>
>>Danny Barnes is doing just this --  burning 100 copies of his new releases
>>and selling 'em for $25. They're  selling out. But the problem here goes
>>the other way. If you're happy  with 100 people hearing your latest
>>release, that's fine, but a lot of  bands (and fans) wouldn't be.
>>Bob
>
>I suspect Danny Barnes ain't hurtin' too much financially these days, his
>profile being a little higher than the rest of us, having had releases on
>both  Quarterstick and Sugar Hill...not to mention this other fun stuff:
>composed and performed the score for the 20th Century Fox film The Newton
>Boys, recorded with Bill Frisell the score for the HBO documentary American
>Hollow, played the banjo on the upcoming Disney children's CD, The Sounds of
>Springtime...etc.  Oh yes, & Danny is represented by  the Davis
>McLarty Agency.
>Hell, he had to be able to afford that CD burner  somehow...
>Buddy 1000 Copies For The Music Fans  Rockets

Someone else made this argument too, and I have to say, so what? Ever
drawn 100 people at one of your gigs, Buddy? Hell, he didn't even sell
all 100 at a single gig, he lined up a little minitour. Draw 300 people
across a few nights and you only need 1 out of 3 to buy one to sell
out. Play all year and even if you only total 1,000 people, that's one
out of 10 to sell out in a year, with a pretty damned small investment.
(You can burn a 75-minute CD in less than 10 minutes, and blanks can be
had for nearly free with rebates.) Danny Barnes' profile has nothing to
do with the point that a label's completely unnecessary to disseminate
your music on CD anymore.

Bob