[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >From today's Nashville Tennessean:
>
> Shakeup swallows Decca
> . As many as three-quarters of the
> labels' acts may be purged, according to the current issue of Rolling
> Stone.

I'm probably real stupid but just how does this "develop" artists?  This
obviously hsa absolutely nothing to do with music or art or humanity for that
matter.  It simply has to do with greed and maximizing profits.

And as for diversity in music available for purchase and airplay, sounds like
an "oh well" to me.
As for MCA not cutting artists at this time, it was my understanding that
they had already, at least in part done that, with the like of Joe Ely taking
the first big bites.  My own guess on this is that anyone not in the
predominant format genres will be looking for new new homes.  That would
include most alt or insurgent country acts, folk, and AAA artists.

This is going to interesting to watch as an outsider but I would hate like
hell to be on the inside of this at this juncture.

My best wishes go to all the employees and artists receiving pink slips.  And
maybe, over the long run Seagram's will end up shooting themselves slightly
above the foot

Iceman