Coincidentally, I was listening to Kelly Willis' record, "Bang Bang," in
the car today, and remembered why it never hit me that hard back when I
bought the thing. Maybe it's Tony Brown's production, but it just seemed
as if the tunes were sort of calculated, not a good fit, and the
instrumental mix was real thin. At some point, Brown or someone must have
said, turn those damn guitars down. At the time, I liked "Well Traveled
Love" a little better, and her three- or four-song sampler with "Drive
South" on it. Anywho, sounds like she's finally managed to call most of
the shots on a record; I gotta get it. -- Terry Smith