Date: Fri,  2 Apr 1999 09:48:46 -0500 (EST)
   From: Carl Abraham Zimring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   Excerpts from internet.listserv.postcard2: 1-Apr-99 Re: Kelly Willis
   calling th.. by Will [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   > The song choices are often weak.  A couple of the originals are good, but
   > I get to wishing there was a producer there to separate the wheat from
   > the chaff.

   I disagree.  I think she does a great job of interpreting the Nick Drake
   song, brought a minor Replacements tune to life, and did yet another
   fine Paul Kelly cover.  Add in fine guitar work by Chuck Prophet & John
   Dee Graham and _What I Deserve_ is a lock for my year-end Top 10.

I am somewhere in between of these two on my evalution of the entire
album but I wanted to bop out of lurker land and say that Willis'
cover of "Time Has Told Me" is just incredible to my ears.  As a minor
Drake fan(atic), I almost always prefer his originals to others but
Willis' cover blew me away and made the purchase of an otherwise so-so
album worthwhile.  I can imagine this cover might contend for my song
of the year, but the album will not.  FWIW.

Bob

NP: WCBN (still homesick -- and hash bash is tomorrow....)