Hi.

I have a weird question, I'm thinking someone on this list may have some
ideas.  A lot of you seem like either a) musicians or b) industry-related
types.

I'm in Madison, WI.  We are located directly between Minneapolis and
Chicago.  In fact, you have to drive by our fair town to get from one place
to the other.    And in fact, unless an act is fairly big (like WILCO or
Steve Earle), drive by is what they do.

I think we are a fairly enlightened town, we have a campus, and we have a
lot of folks that live here interested in good music.  BUT

Sometimes bands stop here, but a lot of times they don't.  I think the
reason may be because Madison is
1)  lacking the right venue... we don't have a 300-500 person type facility
    We don't have a schubas, or 400 club or a 3'rd and Lindsley, or a
Tremont (yes I've traveled to see shows)
2)  possibly lacking the interest from the local promoters to chase these
acts down

I'm thinking about trying to get a venue of this nature off the ground in
our fair city.  But naturally I'm wondering if I can achieve any success
where none has apparently been achieved before.  Any hints/suggestions?  I
would like to try to contact some of these bands or their agents to find
out if it might be a possibility to even get some of them to stop here on
their way through.

Am I dreaming?   Please contact me off-list.

Sorry for the "band" width.

Diane