Also to consider for Diane and whoever else is thinking about these
issues is of course the difference between promoting shows and owning
the bar/venue itself.

These are two very different balls of wax.  Dave describes someone
who's had a good effect locally by *promoting,* but starting up a
venue, surviving, and becoming an established joint is much more
demanding and long-term proposition....

As I was saying to Diane offlist, good bar management is the key to
every successful venue I know of.  If the bar doesn't make money,
there's no venue to bring the good music to....

--junior