Okay, if y'all won't consider Linda McCartney, I will withdraw the submission
in favor of a real one: Jon Brion. The man is all over so many albums, both
as a producer and as a musician (Grant Lee Buffalo, Aimee Mann, Eels,
Wallflowers, Fiona Apple, Robyn Hitchcock, Sam Phillips, Mary Lou Lord,
Elliott Smith... just to name a few of *dozens* of noteworthy artists he's
worked with in the 90s), playing just about every instrument conceivable,
from drums to calliope to vibraphone to optigon. Truly remarkable if you ask
me. I can't even think of another session/side guy that comes close to
approximating the resume he's amassed in recent years. Plus, the man in
incredibly inventive. Need more proof, go to
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=B59455 and see for yourself.

I rest my case.

Neal Weiss