On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ha, that's funny I had a similar on-going conversation with my eldest brother
> about the Jam and the Clash, although this debate was over which band was
> better. I sided with the Jam, although I eventually saw the error of my ways.

You know, I said this at Nashville Extravaganza to the absolute horror of
Bill Silvers and Chris Knaus.  Also, in an attempt to remove any last
shred of respectibility and credibility, I'll repeat it publically.

The Clash did absolutely nothing for me.  I NEVER understood the critic's
fascination with this group and I absolutely never understood my cohort's
slavish devotion to them either.  They always sounded like a second-rate
bar band to me.  Always liked that they wore their politics on their
sleeve but I found their relative degree of "punkness" to be rather tame.
So, they failed me as a pop band and from the other side, as a punk
band. Not musical enough and too safe & staid, at the same time.
I won't even mention the vocal quality.......ugh!

I still hear "Rock the Casbah" in my nightmares.

Oh well, I did like some Big Audio Dynamite material though.
Perhaps, that might help things. Just thought I'd confess up.  Let the
flaming begin. <g>

This could even get me in more hot water than the Portland
comments.

jerry