Assuming that lap steel = non-pedal steel (as opposed to literally and
exclusively a little bitty guitar that sits face up on your lap), Leon
McAuliffe and Don Helms are pretty obvious choices for guys who mostly
played pretty simple stuff that's nevertheless right on the money, and I'd
add Kayton Roberts, who worked with Hank Snow for many years, and Little Roy
Wiggins, Eddy Arnold's steel player, both of whom are also pretty
minimalist.  Of these, I believe only Wiggins played an actual lap steel,
and I'm not even sure about him <g>.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/