Sol Hoopii, Master of the Hawaiian Guitar Vol. 1 and others (my copy
is Rounder 1024), is certainly a primer on this kind of instrument. He
used a couple of different tunings on this effort recorded between 1926
and 1930, which was probably a simpler time.
  In further lap steel news, and since we have not had any tech talk
recently - I am currently trying out a Fender Twin with my National 6
string. I was running out of oomph with the old Supro while playing in
my son's band Carter Monrose in their electric sets, hence the search
for more raw power. So far, I am not satisfied with the reverb or the
bass string reproduction. There are a boatload of knobs and dials on
this thing so I may just not be twirling them the right way. I think a
Peavey may be the answer.
    William W Western