Time for the f*lkie to chime in with some nominations in this category.

First, a second to a couple of great underappreciated albums already
mentioned by others:

     Slaid Cleaves, No Angel Knows  (my favorite 97 release!)
     Syd Straw, War and Peace

And some others that didn't get their due:

     Mickey Newbury, Nights When I Am Sane   (1994)
     Jack Williams, Highway From Back Home (1994)
     Lori Carson, Where It Goes (1995)
     Kris McKay, Things That Show (1996)
     Chris Buhalis, Kenai Dreams (1998)

and those are just the ones that I thought were somewhat P2 friendly.
The list is a lot longer in the acoustic/folk genre where so many
outstanding artists just don't find an audience.