My vote for this category is Lonesome Bob's release. Easily one of my
favorite records of all time. I've bought the cd or taped if for many of my
friends. Even those not into any of this crazy alt-country/roots stuff
really dig it. What's not to like? Some people around these parts claim
there are no good songwriters anymore. Well, I think ole' Lonesome is
a great songwriter.

Speaking of ole' Lonesome, I caught him, Kevin Gordon (that should get the
Smilin' one frowning. <g>), and Phil Lee do a writers in the round thing at a
tiny
little cafe tonight.  The first part of the set was acoustic. Both Lonesome and
Kevin did
all new songs. Lonesome's new songs are stellar. Kevin's songs were damn fine as
well.
Lee might have had some good songs, but I couldn't get past his obnoxious and
irritating manner
to notice.

All three did about 4 or 5 older songs with a full band. Luckily, Lonesome and
Kevin went on first,
so we didn't have to sit through Lee. I think Gordon has one of the most soulful
voices going.
I could listen to him for days. And Lonesome just plain rips it up live. What a
great night of music.
One of the reasons I love living in Nashville.

Look at me agreeing with a folkie! Strange, but true.
John Kinnamon mentioned:
     >Slaid Cleaves, No Angel Knows
    >Lori Carson, Where It Goes

I listened to both these artists a lot last summer/early fall.
I haven't run into many people who own these cds (even
on these lists). They are definately worth seeking out.

marie