Now that's an erudite summation.  But I still can't get my head around
Cobain as artist of the decade.  His creative achievement, though jarring
and influential, doesn't compare to that of the other serious contenders.
Besides, the eight year old who runs my house, his seventeen year old
babysitter and all her friends, the kids at the sub shop down the road, my
ex-girlfriend's 14 year old son and my eighteen year-old sister's boyfriend
are all white kids whose primary musical touchstones are rap and new jack,
even if they own a couple of Garth Brooks records.

These same kids know (but don't neccessarily love)The Beatles, Stones,
Zeppelin, Bowie, U2 and Prince - all artists of lasting influence whose
catalogs are continually discovered by successive waves of college
freshman.  I asked my babysitter if she liked Nirvana and she said "didn't
they have that song with the cheerleaders in the video?".  The eight year
old looked at me blankly when queried.  And my sister's boyfriend was like
"that's the guy who killed himself, right?"

Before y'all kill me on anecdotal evidence charges, realize that I'm trying
to illustrate that the only people listening to Nirvana are critics and
white folks between 28 and 40.  Unless someone can convince me that
teenagers 20 years from now will find Nirvana's music revelatory for
themselves (like Abbey Road kicked my ass in 1987, or like my babysitter
really getting into Bowie now) I cannot accept his coronation.  It's more
likely he'll be remembered for being Rolling Stone's Artist of the Decade
than he will be for his music.