On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:23:18 EDT  said:
>....and just to really blow everyone's mind, please note that last month
>Steve Earle earned his "GOLD" status for Guitar Town!!  That came out in 1986
>and has only sold 500,000 copies.  What the heck is goin' on....

   Especially since Guitar Town was a #1 country album.  What gives? Was
country music just in the doldrums (in terms of popularity like number of
radio stations/album sales)? Or is the ability of country stars to sell
millions of albums a relatively new thing? (I'm talking strictly about
non-crossover country stars - though even the crossover/non-crossover
dichotomy can get fuzzy.
                               Evan Cooper (overly puzzled on a Sunday morn_

np: Cokie Roberts and the Tipster pontificating about teens.  Double Ack!!