Hi Ray

How we 'sort of' solved the similar issue:

"Prevent late bounces from failing relayed emails"

First we use the 'verify' functionality and
'reject_unverified_recipient' to cache if the remote server rejects a
certain recipient. But this check happens BEFORE sending the payload.

If the message is being rejected AFTER the DATA phase, for example by a
content scanner, then the recipient still did verify successfully,
postfix would keep forwarding emails as the recipient exists.

While forward emails, we employ MIMEDefang as a milter to rewrite the
sender in an SRS compatible was but have extended this to not only
encode the original sender, but also the local forwarding mailbox.

Therefore, when we process and validate the SRS address such a 'late
bounce' (again, done with MIMEDefang) we and can extract the forwarding
mailbox that caused the bounce. This way can count and limit the number
of bounces generated by a local recipient with email forwarding.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon-
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden