Tait Grove wrote:
I am having email delays that are over two hours long. I can not figure this out but `qshape` shows thousands of messages in the mail queue, but `mailq` says the that /var/spool/mqueue is empty. I have rebooted several times and flushed everything I can. Anymore ideas for me?

-- Tait

When faced with a clogged toilet, clear the blockage first, then flush. Flushing the postfix queue without fixing the underlying problem is unlikely to help, and will probably make matters worse. ditto for rebooting.

My first guess is that you're running the sendmail(TM) mailq command rather than the postfix mailq command. Uninstall sendmail to fix this, or try running "postqueue -p"

My second guess is that your queue is clogged with thousands of messages to unknown recipients that postfix is working hard to return to the forged sender address. Accepting mail to unknown recipients will bog down your server and turn you into a backscatter source; your server will eventually be blacklisted for this. Make sure your system does not accept mail to undeliverable or invalid recipients.

For definite answers rather than guesses, please provide more information; postconf -n, qshape, mailq, log entries of delayed deliveries, etc.

Noel Jones