Hi all,

When I first ran postfix, on my own machine instead of having my mail hosted
by an ISP, the set up was as it came 'out of the box' - I was absolutely
swamped by spam, probably one every second or two - and I almost panicked
when I saw what a horrendous volume of crap I was recieving.  At first I
tried to handle these using header- and body- checks, looking for
recognisable spam strings via regexes, and brought the volume down to
something more managable.  Then I sat down, RTFM'd some more, (read lots of
posts on this list and Ralf's excellent postfix book), and set up my main-
and master- .cf files to something more sensible using postfixes reject- this
and reject- that filters (which reject most of the spam at connection time).
I ensured I wasn't an open-relay, and incorporated an RBL check as well as
ensuring amavis-new worked correctly.  Additions to this was a minimum of
regex checks to suit my particular domain usage and to ensure I'm RFC
compliant.  This was all a little complex to make sure I wasn't disabling one
thing while enabling another, but in the end I think I have it reasonably
under control.  I now recieve approx. five spam messages each day, which
while in a perfect world this may be five too many, is really quite
acceptable when you consider from where I started.

This mail is just FYI and by way of saying:

        "postfix and friends do a great job - many thanks!"

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

http://www.rfi.net/