Chris St Denis:
> What is the maximum number of addresses to have in a multi-recipient
> alias? I realize a real mailing list system like majordomo or mailman is
> better for large numbers but I need to use aliases for now 'till I have
> time to set it up and need to know how many I can use before I start to
> run into problems.

Expansion via virtual_alias_maps is limited to

virtual_alias_expansion_limit (default: 1000)
virtual_alias_recursion_limit (default:  1000)

When the limit is reached, cleanup(8) logs a warning, and
some recipients will not receive the mail.

With expansion via alias_maps, recursion is limit to 1000,
non-configurable. local(8) defers delivery when the limit is reached.