Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
I found the error.  It was that relayhost was defined elsewhere in
main.cf as

This is one of the reasons why we ask for 'postconf -n' output. other reasons include typos ("smtp_sas1_... =" and the like), ... etc.

relayhost = outgoing.verizon.net

therefore I needed the following in sasl_passwd:

outgoing.verizon.net   <username>:<passwd>

(without the '[' and ']')

better put the brackets in both places. ISPs give you names that you should use without MX lookup (a MUA doesn't do MX lookup).

Finally, I had a missing link to my SASL2 plugin directory so Postfix
was not able to find the plugin for PLAIN authentication.

Thanks for the help though.
Ido

mouss wrote:
Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
I've built Postfix 2.5.4 with Cyrus SASL 2.1.2 on a Solaris 10 05/08
Ultra 10.  I've got SASL support in postfix since

[EMAIL PROTECTED] libpcap-0.9.8]
51 # postconf -A
cyrus

However, when I try to send mail it gets bounced by my ISP's server as
no authentication is occuring.  I've configured main.cf with the
following:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_type = cyrus
relayhost = [outgoing.verizon.net]

my sasl_passwd file is (with the username/password combination
replaced):

54 # cat !$
cat /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
[outgoing.verizon.net]          <username>:<password>

The ISP server supports either PLAIN or LOGIN.  I've manually verified
that the username/password combination works by generating the base64
version of the combination and manually walking through the PLAIN
authentication.  The ISP does not accept connections on port 587 for
submission -- I have to go through port 25.  What I can't figure out is
why Postfix doesn't send the AUTH PLAIN or AUTH LOGIN command to do
authentication.  Can anyone provide me with some fresh ideas as I'm
all out.

please show the output of 'postconf -n' instead of main.cf excerpts.

also, retry after doing
$ postconf smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous

also show logs (so that we see that mail is really going to verizon,
and that there are no errors...).

did you install the cyrus plain module? show output of 'saslfinger -c'.