Stephen Holmes:
> Hmm, then it gets stranger. /etc/postfix/mysql/virtual-mailbox-maps.cf
> is a file in the local file system, as are the postfix binaries and in
> fact the /var/spool/postfix queues.  All that's hosted on the remote NFS
> server is the actual user mailboxes.  The MySQL files are root
> accessible, as are the other postfix files in /etc.  The dovecot agent
> has no problems, so I guess my question is what persmissions are
> required for the mysql .cf files, and the /vmail folder.

If root can do "cat /etc/postfix/mysql/virtual-mailbox-maps.cf"
but the Postfix virtual delivery agent running as root can open
the file, then you have something that interferes with file system
access, like Selinux, Apparmor, Systrace, and so on. Configuring
such systems is outside the scope of Postfix.