Thanks for the answers.

This is an internal mail server for system generated mail, and I'm
re-writing the address before determining the transport so there's sanity
checking already in place.  I would never consider this kind of setup on a
user/internet relay server.  Heck, I wouldn't consider this solution in the
first place, but it's legacy ( currently on sendmailx ) and I have to make
it work.  I wanted to avoid using an explicit map file because it could be
complex and has to be updated manually.

Is there another way to programmatically determine the next-hop?

Thanks again