Please don't top-post. Put your answers below the text you refer to.

Lists wrote:
Will have a go at those instructions thanks.
I don't want to make things difficult for our clients. I like the setup that allows the client to use pop details to authenticate - I even managed to get that working ;) What I was trying to do with TLS was to encrypt the password that gets sent (but i'm not sure this is even necessary) Would it be alright to leave out TLS support? / OR / if TLS support is enabled does it have to be used or will the pop details still authenticate?

TLS encryption is a separate feature from authentication. They can be used individually or together. So wether you use TLS or not doesn't really affect your authentication scheme.

While TLS isn't a requirement, it's very highly recommended because the PLAIN and LOGIN authentication methods send the username/password in what is essentially plain text. Using TLS will protect the credentials (and all your mail content too!) from any eavesdroppers. While you're at it, make sure dovecot is configured to use TLS with POP/IMAP.

As a stopgap, you can enable the CRAM-MD5 method in the auth section of your dovecot.conf. Just add it to the mechanisms list and restart dovecot:
   mechanisms = login plain cram-md5
The cram-md5 method is not "strong" encryption, but better than nothing. Clients that can use it will automatically pick it over the PLAIN or LOGIN methods. Postfix will log which method a client uses. Note that cram-md5 only encrypts the credentials, not the whole mail session, so it's not a replacement for TLS.

--
Noel Jones