Erbil KARAMAN:
>> actually 'letting MTA figure out how to get it to the internet' is not
>> a great approach for high volume senders.

I meant just in terms of letting the primary postfix instance figure out
 which other postfix instance to pass it to. It's a good generalised
solution that doesn't require mailing software that's smart enough to
send via different instances.

I mention this as being useful because if, like one of our customers,
you sell a service that lets them relay mail via your MTA, you can give
everyone a single entry point and let the MTA do what you want it to do.

Wietse Venema wrote:
> Can you be give examples of such features?

Sure, I can think of a few. Selling points of PowerMTA:
 * Goodmail compliance/endorsement/whatever
 * Built-in DKIM/Domainkeys signing
 * Ability to define round-robin pools of src addresses for outgoing mail
 * Ability to associate sender-domains with one or more pools
 * Some amount of reporting/stats/things that marketing people like
 * Might have inbuilt support for "mail merge" type of campaigns

In short, it makes some things easier, in an all-in-one turnkey
e-solution that leverages your assets, letting you better synergise with
your target demographic. Or something. :/

Oh, it's also meant to be high-performance, something I've done some
testing on but haven't yet completed. The one instance we run for a
customer has a ceiling of 1200 outgoing connections, which is does hit
at times. It uses a 2(?) tier directory structure on the filesystem to
help improve performance as well.