Ofer Inbar:
> Victor Duchovni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > However, I'm puzzled - it defaults to 18000s but the watchdog timer
> > > seems to kill qmgr during these incidents after about a half hour,
> > > which is 1800 seconds.
> >
> > Wrong timer. The watchdog timeout is hard-coded to 1000s.
>
> Ahhh.  I was going on this, from he qmgr(8) man page:
>
>        daemon_timeout (18000s)
>               How  much time a Postfix daemon process may take to
>               handle a request  before  it  is  terminated  by  a
>               built-in watchdog timer.

That is a copy-and-paste error.  The text is correct for most
servers but is wrong for the "trigger" servers (pickup and qmgr,
currently).

> That's the only reference to a watchdog timer in the qmgr man page.
> Is it incorrect, or does it mean something sensible that I misunderstood?
>
> (Should there be something in the man page about the hard coded timer?)

Not really. It makes absolutely no sense for the queue manager to
be "busy" for more than a second or so. The 1000s limit is already
way beyond any reasonable limit. You don't want to have a queue
manager that does not deliver any mail for 1000s, and you don't
want to increase that time even more.

Instead, you want to upgrade to a queue manager that defers mail
without stopping for 1000s or more.

> > Note, the definition of "succeed" here is the opposite of a "failure",
> > where "failure" is not failure to deliver, but rather failure to connect,
> > active rejection at connect or HELO or an I/O timeout during the mail
> > transaction. Deliveries that fail with 4XX in response to "MAIL", "RCPT",
> > "DATA" or "." don't cause negative feedback...
>
> *nod*  I have observed this when we get a frequent 421 on initial
> connect, and I have not observed this when we get 421's in response
> to issuing any SMTP commands after the greeting.
>
> (Though that causes a different unwanted behavior that I've also
> observed in later versions of postfix, that should be a different
> email thread)

You can limit the amount of time deferring mail by reducing
the size of the active queue.