On 25 Oct 2008, at 17:01, Charles Darwin wrote:
In layman terms, what do mydomain and relayhost stand for? I am running 9.5.0 Darwin (think BSD) and I would like to setup my postfix to send messages to other machines on my network and/or over the Internet.

In your case, from the headers of your email, mydomain is dsl.bell.ca
Your "myhostname" would be bas2-montreal45-1279494405.dsl.bell.ca, although you would probably JUST use relayhost and ignore these settings.

I don't really know how to explain the domain stuff better - if you're really using just 9.5.0 Darwin then I'm surprised it's not obvious.

If you're using a Mac then just say so - that way we'll know (if you ask more questions) to take account of your package management system and that you're liable to be running a version of postfix which is a little out of date.

I'm going to assume you are using a Mac & recommend these resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
and also the first couple of chapters of O'Reilly's "DNS and BIND" by Liu & Albitz. I found this explanation of the workings of DNS delegation and lower-level domains to be excellent, enlightening and surely a joy to read for any person with the least technological curiosity. Older editions of this book may be out of date with respect to the mechanics of the BIND software, but are available very cheaply indeed and are surely worth a punt just for this delightful overview.

Setting relayhost in main.cf will tell postfix "always send my mail via this other server", and one might commonly use it to send mail via one's ISP's SMTP server.

I'm not sure your purpose in sending messages to other machines on your network - usually an email program (like Outlook, Apple Mail or Thunderbird) will get its messages from a POP3 or IMAP server (of which one would typically have one on a small network) and not "directly" via postfix.

Stroller.