On 11/11/2008 4:49 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Common administrative practices include submission on 587 for
>> trusted clients only and should not be permitted on the internet.
>> This port should be firewalled outside of your network.

> Excuse me?!?!? Thats ridiculous... in fact, just the OPPOSITE is
> true.

Well... correction...

Port 587 is designed to provide smtp_auth services to trusted clients
VIA an UNtrusted network (like the internet)...

So, no WAY should it be firewalled - just limit it to sasl_auth based
sessions - and hopefully you enforce strong password policies too...

--

Best regards,

Charles