N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
I have a simple (I'll post postconf -n if it would help) Postfix box that basically takes in mail and hands it off.
I have one user that would like to send and receive mail
from the outside. I'm ok with receiving mail, but I have
to (I think) set up some authentication so that I don't become an open relay. What's the simplest way to do
this?

Thanks!

http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

What works best for you depends largely on how your users read mail now. If you happen to use cyrus IMAP already, it would seem natural to also use cyrus SASL for smtp authentication. Your system vendor may provide a postfix already built with cyrus SASL included.

I like dovecot - I find it fairly simple to configure and dirt-easy to integrate with postfix. Dovecot can use a plain-text file for credentials if you have few users and don't want the burden of configuring a *SQL backend.

Oh, and just because you use cyrus or dovecot for postfix SMTP AUTH support, that doesn't lock you into that product for IMAP and POP3 services.

--
Noel Jones